Haitians look to Dominican Republic as Port-au-Prince crisis festers
Dajabón, Dominican Republic .- Many Haitians mull different ways to cross the border into Dominican territory as Haiti’s social and political crisis festers, local media report Thursday quoting representatives of human rights organizations, merchants and authorities.
Dominican Republic’s Army last week announced “Operation Shield” to heighten surveillance, with dozens of additional soldiers sent to the border with Haiti.
The Dominican Army reportedly detained 13,300 undocumented Haitians during the eight days after the operation was enacted.
Religious organizations and human rights groups denounced Thursday that people who engage in trafficking of Haitians from the Caribbean country scam compatriots desperate to flee the situation in their country.
“They charge large sums of money, and assure them that by illegally immigrating into Dominican Republic, will allow them to progress and get one step closer to reaching US territory of Puerto Rico,” said Haitian Catholic activist Jensen Baptiste, quoted by local media.
He stressed that Dominican authorities are on the alert along the entire border.
- Different News sources (Local and International)
- A handy online alphabetic Business Directory presenting each company through attractive color banners with full contact details and links to advertisers own website/Facebook
- Use our Restaurant Guide or Clubs/Bars Guide for your convenience
- Gain real savings by printing out Coupons with various monthly offers and specials to be used at local shops and traders.
- On the page “DR Living” gather interesting and useful information and facts about the Dominican Republic.
- Post your own news and comments on DR News and DR Living.
- Advertise your services / products in our Business Directory, on our Web Pages and on our Coupon page.
- Advertise in our Classifieds section.
- Book Hotel and Tours in our new section Vacation Deals. Pay what Dominicans pay!
- Shop in our NPN Shop page for unique products or services and get a special deal.
- Watch interesting and funny video’s on our page Cool Videos.
- Launch unique events for Free on our page “Local Events” that you, your organization, your company or your club is holding.
- NEW!! Buy a VIP CARD and save when shopping in Sosua and Cabarete.