Haiti retains Dominican Republic trucks at the border
Santiago.- Some 27 tractor trailers and other trucks loaded with goods from the Dominican Republic are being held by Haiti’s Customs Agency, a move that has riled Dominican drivers and will likely mar the already tense ties between the Hispaniola neighbors.
Haiti authorities ordered Dominicans truck drivers to return to their country, but retained the vehicles, claiming that they are already registered by Customs.
Interviewed on TV in Santiago the head of the truckers union (Fenatrado) said Dominican 27 trucks are being held in Ouanaminthe, northeast Haiti, by the country’s Customs.
Blas Peralta said in the towns of Ouanaminthe and Cap Haitien protests are expected for tomorrow Friday.
The truckers said Haiti police ordered them to cross into Dominican territory as quickly as possible to avert reprisals as the tense situation between the two countries continues into its third week, which flared after a Haitian national was found hanged in a park in the country’s second biggest city.
Peralta cautioned Dominicans drivers against to crossing into Haiti territory until the situation returns to normal.
- Different News sources (Local and International)
- A handy online alphabetic Business Directory presenting each company through attractive color banners with full contact details and links to advertisers own website/Facebook
- Use our Restaurant Guide or Clubs/Bars Guide for your convenience
- Gain real savings by printing out Coupons with various monthly offers and specials to be used at local shops and traders.
- On the page “DR Living” gather interesting and useful information and facts about the Dominican Republic.
- Post your own news and comments on DR News and DR Living.
- Advertise your services / products in our Business Directory, on our Web Pages and on our Coupon page.
- Advertise in our Classifieds section.
- Book Hotel and Tours in our new section Vacation Deals. Pay what Dominicans pay!
- Shop in our NPN Shop page for unique products or services and get a special deal.
- Watch interesting and funny video’s on our page Cool Videos.
- Launch unique events for Free on our page “Local Events” that you, your organization, your company or your club is holding.
- NEW!! Buy a VIP CARD and save when shopping in Sosua and Cabarete.