Number of Tourists Visiting the D.R. Jumps by 4% Between January-May 2016
The number of foreign visitors who visited the Dominican Republic totaled 2.5 million, 148,216 more than the number that arrived in the country during the same time period in 2015.
NUMBER OF EUROPEAN TOURISTS ON THE RISE
The number of European tourists grew 1.8% between January-May 2016, in comparison with the same time period last year. This figure indicates that European tourists are once again traveling to the Dominican Republic for their holidays. The countries that registered the highest growth were Germany (8,438); England (5,718); Poland (3,373) and Sweden (2,757).
NORTH AMERICAN VISITORS REGISTER A 4.4% GROWTH
The arrival of tourists from the U.S. market jumped by 4.4%, an overall increase of 58,122 visitors. Of this number, 51,525 came from the United States; 3,972 from Canada and 2,625 from Mexico.
SOUTH AMERICA TOURISM WITH A HEALTHY 12.5% INCREASE
South America recorded an increase of 12.5% (31,117 more tourists than the number registered in 2015) during the first five months of the year. The countries with the highest number of visitors to the D.R. are Venezuela (22,086); Colombia (13,318); Uruguay (5,119); and Peru (3,187).
Central America and the Caribbean registered the highest growth, 24.6% (15,542 more tourists), with Puerto Rico heading the list with 5,897 additional visitors and followed by Panama (4,192) and Cuba (3,079).
PUNTA CANA MAINTAINS ITS LEADERSHIP IN THE REGION, WITH A SOLID 66% OF TOURISTS ARRIVING THROUGH ITS INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
By far, Punta Cana – one of the Caribbean’s top tourism destinations – received the largest number of tourists between January-May 2016, with 66.2% of all incoming visitors to the country (1.5 million). This number reveals a 4.6% growth compared to the same time period in 2015.
The capital city’s Las Americas International Airport, and the north coast’s Puerto Plata airport increased their number of visitors by approximately 16.4% and 9.7%, respectively. In total, both terminals handled 581,907 visitors. Other airports, such as La Romana (eastern region), Santiago (central region), La Isabela (Santo Domingo) and El Catey (in northeast province of Samana), handled 7.7 percent of all tourists.
Source: Access DR
- Different News sources (Local and International)
- A handy online alphabetic Business Directory presenting each company through attractive color banners with full contact details and links to advertisers own website/Facebook
- Use our Restaurant Guide or Clubs/Bars Guide for your convenience
- On the page “DR Living” gather interesting and useful information and facts about the Dominican Republic.
- Post your own news and comments on DR News and DR Living.
- Advertise your services / products in our Business Directory, on our Web Pages and on our Coupon page.
- Advertise in our Classifieds section.
- Book Hotel and Tours in our new section Vacation Deals. Pay what Dominicans pay!
- Shop in our NPN Shop page for unique products or services and get a special deal.
- Shop from our CATALOG for products and services found locally
- Launch unique events for Free on our page “Local Events” that you, your organization, your company or your club is holding.
- NEW!! Sign up for our SEEK and MATCH campaign, and promote your real estate, rentals, and unique products.