Dominican Republic’s 1st ever terrorism charges
SANTO DOMINGO. Yesterday the principal suspect of starting a fire in one of the cars of the Santo Domingo Metro where more than 200 persons were traveling turned himself in to the authorities.
The person in question is Franquelis Holguin Medina, 21, a native of Barahona, who resides in Gualey and is a student of law at the Autonomous University of Santo Domingo.
The alleged perpetrator said that “it should be a judge who determines his innocence and participation in the fire in the Metro car and that the police should do their job.”
Holguin Medina admitted that he was riding on the Metro, and that he got on at the President Ramon Caceres station that is located on Duarte Avenue and that he was carrying a backpack.
Nevertheless when he was asked what he was carrying in the backpack, he answered “you know, this has been said.”
The alleged arsonist turned himself in by means of Noticias Telemicro, and was transferred to the Homicide Department of the National Police where he was interrogated by several officers and a deputy prosecutor.
The man appeared to be calm at all times and sure of what he said. “I am not afraid, I don’t have any reason to be, I came to turn myself in as a suspect.”
When he was asked to say what happened on the train, he answered in a lackadaisical manner, “fire, this has already been talked about a lot.”
He said that he does not know what the police are saying about the case, “and therefore I can’t answer in the way that you want,” he answered reporter Pablo Luis Santana of Telemicro.
In conversations with members of the media he neither denied nor admitted the acts of which he is accused and he said that it has to be a judge who determines this. Holguin turned himself in through the mediation of Telemicro, channel 5.
The young man was identified after reviewing the security tapes of the Metro and in the afternoon yesterday the director of the Office for the Reorganization of Transportation (Opret), Leonel Carrasco, showed screenshots of the alleged perpetrator, when he was going up an escalator on the way out of the station, without a shirt.
Last Monday morning the Dominican population woke up with the frightening news that there had been a terrorist attempt on the Metro where a man, until then unknown, had set fire to one of three cars that were carrying more than 500 passengers.
The incident caused consternation in everyone, affecting directly 35 persons, 19 of them with burns; one of them, the young man Francis Gonzalez Gil, still remains in the Intensive Care Unit of the Luis Eduardo Aybar Hospital with first and second degree burns.
- Different News sources (Local and International)
- A handy online alphabetic Business Directory presenting each company through attractive color banners with full contact details and links to advertisers own website/Facebook
- Use our Restaurant Guide or Clubs/Bars Guide for your convenience
- Gain real savings by printing out Coupons with various monthly offers and specials to be used at local shops and traders.
- On the page “DR Living” gather interesting and useful information and facts about the Dominican Republic.
- Post your own news and comments on DR News and DR Living.
- Advertise your services / products in our Business Directory, on our Web Pages and on our Coupon page.
- Advertise in our Classifieds section.
- Book Hotel and Tours in our new section Vacation Deals. Pay what Dominicans pay!
- Shop in our NPN Shop page for unique products or services and get a special deal.
- Watch interesting and funny video’s on our page Cool Videos.
- Launch unique events for Free on our page “Local Events” that you, your organization, your company or your club is holding.
- NEW!! Buy a VIP CARD and save when shopping in Sosua and Cabarete.